Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Pop Pop


Dad's Dad came to visit last week -- you know for the weather. And me, of course. Mostly me. He and Dad had loads of fun with me in the morning; then he did everything with me and Mom during the day. We hung out with my some of my friends (both the people kind and the furry ones) and went out to dinner one evening -- this restaurant thing is confusing: You can leave your crumbs on the floor?! (I found Mom's blase attitude about my dropped chip very disconcerting.)
He got to run in the blazing inferno of afternoon heat. Maybe Uncle Tito's right and you are the strongest man alive. Except for Dad, of course. He got to skim our borrowed pool and run the vacuum pump. And listen to Tenzing yowling at 5 AM. On Sunday. He helped Mom and Dad take care of my friend Sullivan and read lots of great stories to me. He convinced me that blueberries are ok once in awhile. And that coffee stunts your growth (not decaf, though). He helped me and Dad assemble our cool new grill and ran around the back yard with me for what seemed to be hours. We had the best time together.



A Visit with Pop Pop
Pop Pop, we had so much fun
between breakfast and your run
(in the 114 degree heat)
we'd play outside
run, jump, and slide
and there was the pool
a sure fire way to stay cool
Not to mention indoors
(when mom wasn't vacuuming the floors)
blocks and books and all my friends
You're the best.

Pop Pop, we had a blast
But your stay went so fast
I liked waking you up best
from your nightly rest
(or your nap)
you'd lift me high
I swear I touched the sky
(maybe it was the ceiling fan)
Then we'd play chase
and peekaboo with your face
You're the best.

Pop Pop, it's fun to say
the best way to start the day
is with "pop-pop pop-pop pop-pop pop-pop pop-pop pop-pop pop-pop pop-pop"
Forget "mama" and "dada", too
there's no "meow" or "moo"
Say it some more after a nap
or post-bump or -splat
pop-pop pop-pop pop-pop pop-pop pop-pop pop-pop pop-pop pop-pop
Did you get my clue?
I really mean, "I love you."
You're the best.

Pop Pop, you went bye-bye
A week since we said, "Hi"?
Inconceivable
It cannot possibly be true
In hide and seek you outdo
I know you're in the laundry room
hmm.
Maybe the closet?
hmm.
You really are the best.

We hope to see you soon
I'm over the moon
So hurry back
And there will be no flack
I'm joking
(or am I?)
You're the best.
We love you Pop Pop!

No comments: